Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Minnesota Twins and the M&M Boys

The September Twins have been downright awful, going 2-14 in the month.

Joe Mauer and Justin Morneau (formerly paired in joyous conversation as the M&M Boys) have combined to play only 151 games due to various lingering injuries. Both are out for the rest of the season with pneumonia and concussion symptoms, respectively. Further, both had the worst offensive seasons of their respective careers.

Only three regular Twins players have played in at least 100 games: Michael Cuddyer, Danny Valencia and Ben Revere.

Our bullpen is ranked dead last in the AL in ERA. The Twins are 7 losses away from 100 losses on the year.

Seriously? I am a dedicated Twins fan. I go to games even now when they lose. I still tune in when I have the chance, but I think I should be allowed a bit of frustration here. Seriously, Twins?


Our offseason focus has to start with where Mauer and Morneau fit in. There have been rumors that Morneau might be pushed into a purely offensive position at DH because of his lingering concussion symptoms. Which... tell me if I'm wrong, but doesn't that really mean his career is over? Last I knew his concussion symptoms were affecting more of his batting than his fielding.

If that change were to happen, would that move Mauer out from behind the plate and into the first-base position?

Can we consider these boys our franchise players anymore? I certainly would like to think so. They both seem like genuine guys, but I can't quite say whether or not I believe in them.

I guess I'll find out in 2012. Yes, that's right. I still plan on going to opening day. I'm still hoping my season ticket deposit will translate into actual season tickets. And, I'm still hoping on a 2012 division championship. Let's just call it a late graduation present.

See you next year Twins.

No comments:

Post a Comment