Wednesday, July 13, 2011

ABBY WAMBACH! United States and the World Cup

Abby WambachAll day, baby.



I love watching the U.S. knock out team after team as they make their way to the World Cup final for the first time since 1999. I watched today at the office, which was slightly difficult with the TV to my back -- I've mastered the reflective surface on my computer screen.

Abby Wambach. Once again she was the hero to cut the intense tie between the U.S. and France in the semifinal match. And once again, she did it with a monstrous header. I couldn't have been more mammoth! With the Wambach goal being her third of the tournament, she is now tied for third on the all-time World Cup scoring list with fellow American Miichelle Akers.

Shortly after Wambach's shot, teammate Alex Morgan added an insurance goal in the 82nd minute. The goal was especially impressive because Morgan is a rookie and the ball actually bounced off of the goalkeeper's hands. Later, Morgan almost came up with another in extra time.

The Americans haven't made the final since Mia Hamm, Julie Foundy and Bandi Chastain won the whole kitten-kaboodle in 1999. Pressure is on. It seems that Hope Solo, Abby Wambach and Christie Rampone wouldn't have a chance if there weren't that pressure... that's what the commercial tells me anyway.

I'll see you on Sunday for the final match against Sweden (who is currently beating Japan) or Japan. I might be a bit tired after going to HP 7 Saturday night. What a great weekend...

No comments:

Post a Comment