Friday, July 8, 2011

NASA and Atlantis Shuttle Launch

Atlantis Space LaunchToday, I saw the final launch of the space shuttle Atlantis... from my office chair. Yes - I was able to watch the living viewing, which is probably more than most blue-collar workers can say, but it still brought me sadness to watch and think, 'this may be the last U.S. launch I ever see.'

Every news broadcaster under the sun has talked about the United States' love affair with space and how that love affair is over.

For as long dating has been around, the stereotypical attraction occurs between the sweetheart girl and the nothing-but-trouble boy. We've all had a crush on, or affair with the dangerous and mysterious boy. Its exhilarating. Not to mention, the affair I speak of is timeless as it passes down from generation to generation.

Now, tell me what is more dangerous or mysterious than space? We will forever have a love affair with space. I know I'm still completely enthralled in the idea of what hides beyond our atmosphere.

I realize space exploration is a luxury that perhaps the American economy can not currently support, but to end the affair completely? I just can't buy that.

The more I thought... in real life, the sweetheart girl doesn't marry the nothing-but-trouble boy. We marry the sweet and loving guy. Boring, but true. Maybe, just maybe the United States has just broken up with the boy most likely to break our hearts. Perhaps we've truly ended this affair to go on and marry Healthcare, Marriage Debate and Budget Balance -- the more reliable and dependable boys down the street.

More likely, we've momentarily ended it. We are 'taking a break' like any good high school couple does. I don't believe the U.S. is officially finished with Space Exploration. People will grow tired of the boring down-to-Earth events and that's when the cheating will happen. Soon enough, the U.S. will be back in bed with Space Exploration and our affair will begin again.

After all, have you seen the divorce rate lately? Its somewhere near 'to infinity and beyond!'

Stay sexy, Space. Peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment