Monday, June 13, 2011

Law Student Detained in Egypt

EgyptAn American law student that possesses dual U.S.-Israeli citizenship was arrested by Egyptian authorities while in Egypt under the charges that he is a "highly trained" spy working for Israel. I wonder if he will be allowed to represent himself or if Egypt will go all Guantanamo-Bay on him?

Ilan Chaim Grapel, 27, was traveling to Egypt voluntarily to work with a non-profit organization that helped other African refugees in Egypt.

I hope he is a spy -- that would be sweet. However, he would have to work on his craft a bit because its better for spies if they don't get caught. Besides Egypt thinks they really have control over their government and citizens, but this arrest just illustrates the insecurity felt by Egyptian authorities.

Grapel had posted many pictures on Facebook of the widespread protests in Egypt and he also had a history in the Israeli military.

When I travel to Turkey next January, I will still be an undergrad student. Thank goodness. I don't want to be some law student from Emory Law School traveling over to the middle east/Africa region just to be arrested and detained. Believe me, I wish I was a spy, but I think the government would have sought me out already before I get too old.

No comments:

Post a Comment