Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Shark Week and My Cage Diving Experience

Like any normal human, I am thoroughly enjoying Shark Week on the Discovery Channel. I have been fortunate enough to actually experience cage diving.

While I was studying in Hawaii for the month of January, I made it my priority to go cage diving off the coast of Oahu. Cage diving is something I have wanted to do for a long time and I wasn't going to miss this chance. I had trouble finding classmates to enjoy the diving with me... in fact most people were too scared or didn't want to spend the money. Don't get me wrong, I am a dirt poor college kid, but I was willing to pay almost anything to grab my snorkel gear, hope in a cage and watch the sharks emerge from the depths of the Pacific.

I was NOT disappointed. Here are some photos... I also plan on uploading some of these to Discovery.com because I think they are just that awesome. Enjoy! I did.





#AdrenalineJunkie. Reviewing the pictures I took makes me long for the excitement again. I would love to dive off the coast of Cape Town, where great whites are popular. After that, I want to dive WITHOUT a cage in Nassau, Bahamas. There, diving without a cage is all the rage because the sharks are lured by the dive master dressed in chain-mail that feed them while the other divers play spectators. Yes. I want to do that. No hesitation. I love being in the water and love seeing these creators in person.

Another place I'd like to cage dive is off the coast of Rocas Atoll, Brazil. Here the waters are extremely clear and rich with marine and coral life. The tropical fish are bright and share their home with the lemon shark. Now the lemon shark is no predator like the great white, but the allure of cage diving here is that the lemon shark often swims in a school of 30 or so sharks. Imagine that photo.

Until then, sharks.

No comments:

Post a Comment